LEATHER CORDS 101
Why and How to Use Leather Cord for Jewelry Making
Unlock your creativity and find a new fun hobby!
Innovation & Quality
Developing and supplying premium-quality, sustainably grown, consumer products
Organically Grown and Ethically Sourced
hemp and other natural fiber products
We offer fast shipping
Your order out within 1-3 days
Visit our wholesale portal to register or login to your account
Buy Genuine Leather Cord at Hemptique!
Leather Cords: 4 Benefits of Usage
- Leather cord is a perfect choice for custom-made projects since it can be printed, stamped, and decorated according to one’s wishes and preferences. This feature makes it great for gifts since each design may be unique with a personal touch.
- It is the perfect material for all kinds of projects since it comes in various thicknesses. Leather cord is flexible, easy to cut, and workable material and this is why it can be knitted braided or weaved.
- The leather cord will withstand tear and wear as it is one of the strongest and most long-lasting materials made of the most durable part of the hide.
- It will add a rustic and antique look to your craft project. Those bohemian and earthly-looking lovers may enjoy making bracelets, keychains, plant hangers, home décor, etc.
Types of Leather Cords
There are a few types of leather cords used for crafting. These include round, square and flat leather cord which originate from real leather hide and usually come in one piece. Another type is braided leather which comes in multiple strands twisted into one thread.
Round Leather Cord
- Gipsy Kinte/Berol
The Common Sizes of Round Leather Cord
- 0.5mm-2mm cords are mainly used for earrings and braided into thicker cords.
- 2mm-4mm cords are used to make necklaces, light braiding, and thin lacing.
- 4mm-6mm cords serve for medium size lacing and jewelry.
- 6mm-8mm cords are for thicker and heavier projects.
- 8mm-10mm cords are used for small straps and heavy lacing.
Recommended Hemptique Round Leather Cord
Length: 22.86 Meters (75ft.)
Thickness: 0.5mm, 1mm and 2mm
Colors available: Black, Natural and Brown
Features: Premium quality, soft, strong, durable, natural texture and versatile
Round Leather Cord Projects
Square Leather Cord
Flat Leather Cord
Braided Leather Cord
6 Ways to Embellish the Leather Cord Projects
- Metal tube beads – curved-shaped beads usually used for round leather cord bracelets.
- Buttons/beads – they can be sewn, threaded, or glued on leather jewelry to add colors and sparkle to your project.
- Rivets – these are commonly found on jeans and pants pockets to keep them safe from ripping off. For leather cord projects rivets would add strength or garnish the design.
- Eyelets – these are used for leather hole making, ribbons, and laces, but they can be a decoration too.
- Stamping/embossing – this is the best way to customize jewelry. Embossing stamps come in many different styles, designs, letters, and even little pictures.
- Paint and markers – When it comes to the paint, acrylics are used to embellish the jewels whereas the markers work great on the suede and textured part of the cord.
- Buckles and snaps – Used for fastening simple leather cord jewelry designs like chokers or bracelets.
- Buttons – It is used to close a wrap leather cord bracelet.
- Magnets – These are usually glued to each end of the leather and are sized for different thicknesses.
- Cord ends – There are many shapes, sizes, and types of cord end.
- Glue – It is necessary to use glue if you want to create a multi–layered look, so you don’t sew the pieces onto the leather. We use it to attach cord ends and other fastenings.
- Strong thread – used for extra stability.
- Strong needle – It is good for some thinner leather, and it would be advisable to puncture holes with an awl before sewing.