DIY Mini Macramé Garland
This DIY macramé garland is the perfect way to decorate a space. It’s perfect to decorate for a birthday party, holiday, or other special occasional. It also works great to simply spruce up a space in your home. We think it would look extra cute on a fireplace mantle, a staircase, or even on some bookshelves. This bunting is made with our recycled cotton metallic crafting cord; a sustainable product for a sustainable craft!
Royal Corderié Crafting Cord in two colors
- We used the yellow and gold / white and gold
- A piece of cotton rope
- You can use the same metallic cord, or check out our other macramé ropes
- 5 beads
- Measure and cut 18 yellow and gold cords 22 inches. long.
- Measure and cut 18 white and gold cords 22 inches long.
- Measure and cut 1 rope of choice 50 inches long.
- Secure the long piece of rope to a surface. Tape off approximately 10 in. of rope on each end.
- This is so the garland can be tied/hung.
- Fold 6 yellow and gold cords in half and attach them to the left side of the long rope with 6 lark’s head knots.
- Tie one row of 3 square knots, moving left to right. Each square knot will use 4 cords.
- Tie one row of 2 square knots directly below the previous row, using the 8 cord in the center.
- Tie one more row with 1 square knot directly below the previous row, using the 4 cords in the center.
- Using the cord on the far left (leading cord), begin tying 5 double half hitch knots around this cord moving down and diagonally to the right. This will follow the line of square knots.
- Using the cord on the far right (leading cord), begin tying 5 double half hitch knots around said cord moving down and diagonally to the left. This will follow the line of square knots
- Connect the two leading cords in the center using a double half hitch knot.
- Trim and unravel ends as needed/desired. The first section of the garland is complete.
- Attach a bead to the long rope, next to the first section of garland. You will have a bead between all sections once finished.
- Repeat previous steps using the white and gold cord. Continue these steps until all 6 sections of garland is complete, alternating between colors for each section.
- Slide the garland sections around on the rope as needed to fill in gaps and/or to center them on the long rope.
- Tie a simple knot with the long rope at the first garland section and the last.
- This will prevent the garland from sliding around on the rope once all sections are placed where you want them.
The garland is now complete! Simply tie your garland on a bookshelf, fireplace, staircase, or hang it on the wall to decorate your home.
Happy Crafting from Hemptique!